If you like traditional vegetarian tabbouleh salad, try this gourmet tabbouleh made with feta cheese and edamame soy beans. Made with pesto and fresh herbs for plenty of flavor, this is an unusual and tasty vegetarian tabbouleh salad. Delish!
Recipe courtesy of the Soy Foods Council.
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked bulgur wheat
- 2 cups water, boiling
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 cps cherry tomatoes, chopped
- 4 cup (3 ounces) feta cheese, crumbled
- 1 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained
- 1/3 cup green onions (scallions), sliced think
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, minced
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups shelled edamame
- 4 (7-inch) pitas, cut in half
Combine the bulgur wheat and boiling water in a large bowl. Cover and let stand 30 minutes. Drain.
Combine pesto and lemon juice; stir with a whisk. Combine bulgur, pesto mixture, tomatoes, feta, chickpeas, green onions, parsley, pepper and edamame in a large bowl; and toss gently to combine. Serve with pita halves.
Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1-1/2 cups salad and 2 pita halves).
Nutritional information, per serving:
Calories: 570 (25% from fat); Fat 16g (sat 5.4g, mono 7.5g, poly 2.9g); Protein 23.3g; Carbs 93.3g; Fiber 14.2g; Cholesterol 23mg; Iron 7.8mg; Sodium 856mg; Calcium 352mg