- 2 ounces dried mushrooms
- 1 cup toasted buckwheat groats (kasha)
- 1 large carrot, sliced 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- Salt or natural soy sauce to taste
1. Soak the dried mushrooms (shiitake or porcini are very flavorful) in water until soft.
2. Drain, saving the soaking water, and slice, discarding any tough portions.
3. Add the groats to 3 cups boiling water (including the mushroom-soaking liquid), lower heat, and add the carrot, the onion and the mushrooms.
4. Cover and simmer until water is absorbed. Add salt or natural soy sauce to taste.