With financing in place and a city building permit in the works, we are preparing to begin remodeling!
Over the summer a few dedicated volunteers have started clearing a workspace in the former Foodland store and we anticipate one or two more days of preparation before construction can start.
By late July through August we will have periodic need for skilled and general labor from among our 1300 plus Member-owners to do various tasks in the remodel so the store will be ready for opening in late fall. A major objective is preparing for installation of the refrigeration system (coolers and freezers) that is expected to begin in late September. One or two people willing to prepare food for the workers will also help the effort.
Our first major work party will be on Saturday 14 July from 9AM to 4PM. We would like to identify teams of two committed people for each of the following tasks:
• Haul scrap metal to recycle facility (start 9AM, requires pickup truck), remove conduit not in use
• Remove bathroom fixtures, remove heater parts on external wall
• Dismantle walk-in cooler, demolish wall in mechanical room
• Remove metal suspended ceiling and wiring in old liquor store
• Wall removal next to hallway and next to the entry way.
• Take down large signs (postpone until lift is rented)
• Dismantle sink in produce section
The construction phase has several components where volunteers can do the work or stage materials for contractors to complete the work:
• Internal wall to enclose the market ( stud work, insulation, sheetrock, taping)
• External wall insulation (stud work, insulation, sheetrock, taping)
• Staging materials for mezzanine construction and cooler/freezer installation
• Office dividing walls in mezzanine once vertical members done by contractor
• Deli/backroom (dividing walls, traffic doors and frames)
• Install an outdoor screen/ fence to hide the dumpster and recycling area
• Install door and frame in bathroom
• Preparation and painting of multiple areas