Purpose – To oversee all aspects of day to day Co-op operations, and to meet
organizational ends established by the Board of Directors, while remaining within
Board defined limits and aligned with the Co-op’s mission statement.
Status – Full-time, salaried management position that reports to the Board of
Supervises all departmental managers directly, and all personnel indirectly.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Establish organizational goals, performance objectives, guidelines and best
practices that are based on Board Policy and strive towards achieving them.
• Oversee all store operations based on the goals, objectives, and standards of
• Oversee, assist, and supervise all department managers in planning and
performance to achieve all goals and objectives.
• Provide a model of supportive and participatory leadership promoting the
concepts of team building and empowerment.
• Participate in and oversee the preparation of all annual budgets.
• Oversee the monitoring and managing of all labor and other controllable
expenditures within budget.
• Understand and utilize the financial tools and reports available to support
• Monitor overall store conditions to meet customer service objectives and
• Plan and implement all store operations within budget.
• Develop and oversee store design and merchandising plan.
• Help direct and maintain inventory, product mix, and merchandising
standards sufficient to meet organizational ends and goals.
• Design, develop, and maintain a store that is well merchandised and
• Evaluate and identify customer service needs and develop necessary training
to ensure the Co-op provides outstanding customer service to its members
and customers and communicates clearly and effectively to the membership.
• Monitor key indicators to ensure overall satisfaction.
• Develop staff training plan, pay scale, position descriptions, staffing
structure, orientation process, employee benefits and policy manual to
ensure that organizational training needs are met.
• Hire management staff and oversee hiring of all other staff.
• Develop and maintain a system of staff feedback designed to facilitate
communication within and among departments and participate in direct one-on-
one performance feedback with supervisors and staff as necessary.
• Help facilitate the flow of information among staff.
• Understand, implement required programs, manage and monitor compliance
with applicable federal and state health and safety laws.
• Ensure that all staff are trained in and follow all organizational safety
procedures and guidelines.
• Ensure that the store provides a safe work environment for all staff and
• Demonstrate an understanding of and commitment to Board Policy.
• Attend all meetings of the Board of Directors.
• Remain at all times within the Board stated Executive Limitations.
• Report compliance to Board policies as required by the Board of Directors.
• Work with Board to establish and achieve annual goals and objectives.
• Coordinate store information with website.
• Plan and manage store promotions.
• Design and maintain a marketing campaign within budget to maximize local
involvement and increase sales and membership.
• Minimum of three years of retail grocery management experience.
• Experience with operating, capital and cash budgeting.
• Supervisory experience of managers and others with hiring, training,
evaluating, compensation and firing.
• Working knowledge of store point of sales systems and computer literacy.
• Respect and support for the process of working with a Board of Directors.
• Ability to handle multiple demands and make tough decisions.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Sense of urgency
• Commitment to cooperative values and principles
• Six month trial period.
• Salary and benefits based on experience
• Incentive program
• 21 days of combined vacation and sick time;
• Observed holidays for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year’s Day, Memorial
Day, Independence Day and Labor Day.
Call 907-457-1023 or send resume to email@example.com.