Provide exceptional customer service using the 10/4 rule, 3 Steps to Great Customer Service, and 5 Steps to Handling a Complaint, while maintaining a safe and hazard-free work environment. Assist customers by processing purchases while providing prompt, friendly, helpful customer service. Essential duties and responsibilities
- Operate cash register by passing bar coded items across electronic scanner to record price and display cost of customer purchase
- Process customer purchases promptly and accurately using correct PLU’s for produce and bulk items
- Process customer payment accurately and efficiently, in accordance with established policies
- Make change, cash checks, and issue receipts to customers
- Promote Membership benefits with non-members
- Call for back-up as needed to minimize wait time for customers.
- Bag customer purchases as needed
- Become familiar with co-op policies in order to answer customer questions. Refer unresolved questions or problems to Team Leader or Front End Manager
- Communicate co-op special events to customers
- Alert Management of potential shoplifters, disorderly customers or other emergencies
- Maintains a pleasant helpful relationship with customers and co-workers
- Provide prompt friendly customer service
- Encourage and answer all customer suggestions, requests and complaints
- Stock items as assigned
- Keep register area in a clean and orderly condition
- Collect grocery carts from corral as needed
- Inform Front End Manager of equipment repair and replacement needs
- Take care of any spills to keep customers and staff safe
- Adapts to change; is open to new ideas; takes on new responsibilities; handles pressure; adjusts plans to meet changing needs. Meets commitments; works independently; accepts accountability; sets personal standards in alignment with company standards; stays focused under pressure; meets attendance and punctuality requirements.
- Communicates well both verbally and in writing; shares information and ideas with others; Listens attentively to others; asks clarifying questions; stays open to other viewpoints; manages distractions/interruptions.
- Deals with others in a straightforward and honest manner, is accountable for actions, maintains confidentiality, supports company values, conveys good news and bad.
- Sense of Urgency/Productivity – Prioritizes well, shows energy, reacts to opportunities, instills urgency in others, meets deadlines. Manages fair workload, volunteers for additional work, prioritizes tasks, develops good work procedures, manages time well, handles info flow
- Teamwork/Interpersonal Skills – Meets all team deadlines and responsibilities, listens to others and values opinions, helps team leader to meet goals, welcomes newcomers and promotes a team atmosphere. Builds strong relationships, is flexible/open-minded, negotiates effectively, solicits performance feedback and handles constructive criticism.
- Promotes mutual respect; keeps workplace clean and safe; practices You See It, You Own It; practice safe lifting and cutting techniques. Understand duties and responsibilities; has necessary job knowledge; has necessary technical skills; understands company mission/values; keeps job knowledge current.
- Is attentive to detail and accuracy, is committed to excellence, looks for improvements continuously, monitors quality levels, finds root cause of quality problems, owns/acts on quality problems.
- Capable of lifting 50+ pounds regularly
- Manual dexterity
- Ability to work safely with hazardous chemicals and equipment
- Ability to bend, lift and reach repeatedly for extended periods of time
- Ability to stand in confined space for extended periods of time
- Ability to perform repeated actions for extended periods of time
- Must be willing and able to physically handle all products that Co-op Market carries
- Regular, predictable attendance
- Excellent organizational and communication (oral, aural, and written) skills
- Detail oriented
- Ability to multi-task and remain flexible to the changing needs of the business
- Previous POS experience
- Previous cash handling experience
- Familiarity with natural foods, grocery industry or cooperatives.