From a field of 27 applicants, our Owners have chosen 11 local nonprofits to support through our 2020 Lend a Hand register round-up program. A total of 251 (or approximately 6%) of our Owners voted in our survey.
The 2020 Lend a Hand Calendar includes:
- January – Big Brothers Big Sisters of Alaska
- February – Green Star of Interior Alaska
- March – Fairbanks Animal Shelter Fund
- April – NAMI Fairbanks
- May – Fairbanks Senior Center Meals on Wheels
- June – Friends of Creamer’s Field
- July – Calypso Farm & Ecology Center
- August – Fairbanks Community Food Bank
- September – Literacy Council of Alaska
- October – The Folk School
- November – Breadline/Stone Soup Cafe/Stone’s Throw
- December is reserved for the Interior Alaska Center for Non-Violent Living. Owners voted last year to continue this tradition.
The 2020 list includes two organizations that haven’t received Lend a Hand funding in the past: Big Brothers Big Sisters of Alaska and NAMI Fairbanks.
We asked our Owners to weigh in on whether or not organizations should be limited to two consecutive years of funding before taking a year off. The vote was 55% to 44% in favor of no limit, so we will not implement that change.
Thank you to all of the 27 organizations that applied! Your work represents so much that is good and positive in our community. And thank you to Owners who took time to vote. Your passion and generosity are proof that Fairbanks truly is the Golden Heart City.