NOTE: Owners have selected our 2017 Lend-a-Hand recipients. All 2017 applications are still available for review, but voting is closed.
We are incredibly grateful to all 21 of these organizations for the important work they do in our community. Thank you!
Co-op Market’s commitment to our community goes beyond good food. Supporting the local community through charitable giving, store donations and special events is very important to us.
We give priority to local organizations whose work aligns with ours: providing access to good, healthy food; supporting local agriculture and a thriving local economy; and creating a knowledgeable community informed about choices that impact personal wellness and the environment.
Our donations program includes three components:
- General Donations – Small event-specific donations are provided in the form of Co-op Cash gift certificates, generally not to exceed $25. To be considered, requests should be made at least 3 weeks in advance.
- Lend-a-Hand Program – Each month, our customers have the opportunity to round up their shopping bill to the nearest dollar and donate the difference. 100% of these donations go to the charitable organization. Co-op Market Owners choose each year’s recipient organizations by ballot in December. Note: We are no longer accepting applications for the 2017 Lend-a-Hand program.
- Sponsorships – When funds are available, we will consider larger donations to sponsor community partners and events. However, our ability to do this is very limited for the foreseeable future.
Before requesting any donation, please review our donation policy. The policy and an application are available here.
Please remember that we receive a large number of donation requests. Unfortunately, it is impossible to fill every one. Our decisions are based on the recipient group’s consistency with Co-op Market’s goals, the number of people who will benefit, and the funds available in our donations budget when a request is received.
We believe our donations will have the greatest impact when we support local nonprofit organizations working in our community.
Thank YOU, Co-op Shoppers!
Upcoming Lend-a-Hand donations:
- May 2017: Fairbanks Children’s Museum
- June 2017: Friends of Creamer’s Field
- July 2017: Calypso Farm & Ecology Center
- August 2017: The Literacy Council of Alaska
- September 2017: Fairbanks Youth Advocates
- October 2017: Northern Alaska Environmental Center
- November 2017: Breadline/Stone Soup Cafe
- December 2017: Round Up & Giving Tree for Interior Alaska Center for Non-Violent Living
Previous donation amounts:
- April 2017: Georgeson Botanical Garden Society – $1875.83
- March 2017: Fairbanks Animal Shelter Fund – $2341.13
- February 2017: Boys & Girls Club of Fairbanks – $1626.81
- January 2017: Green Star of Interior Alaska – $1371.12
Current 2017 Total: $7214.89
- December 2016: Round Up & Giving Tree for Interior Alaska Center for Non-Violent Living – $1476.10
- November 2016: Bread Line’s Stone Soup Cafe & Stone’s Throw Job Training Program – $1272.60
- October 2016: Breast Cancer Detection Center – $993.93
- September 2016: Fairbanks Youth Advocates – $1283.68
- August 2016: The Literacy Council of Alaska – $970.42
- July 2016: North Star Imagination Library – $777.32
- June 2016: Friends of Creamer’s Field – $1197.78
- May 2016: Friends of Alaska CASA – $912.06
- April 2016: Georgeson Botanical Garden Society – $1694.55
- March 2016: Fairbanks Animal Shelter Fund – $1535.11
- February 2016: Boys & Girls Club of the Tanana Valley – $1099.64
- January 2016: Green Star of Interior Alaska – $946.62
2016 Total: $14,159.81
- December 2015: Interior Alaska Center for Non-Violent Living – $1065.84
- November 2015: Bread Line’s Stone Soup Cafe & Stones Throw Job Training Program – $1273.85
- October 2015: Fairbanks Youth Advocates – $1187.58
- August 2015: The Literacy Council of Alaska – $1289.23
- June 2015: Friends of Creamer’s Field – $1206.26
- April 2015: Northern Alaska Environmental Center – $1294.52
- February 2015: Boys & Girls Club of Fairbanks – $956.22
- January 2015: Special donations to help after the house fire at Rosie Creek Farm – $860.42
2015 Total: $9133.92
- December 2014: Interior Alaska Center for Non-Violent Living – $1062.97
- November 2014: Fairbanks Community Food Bank – $804.20
- October 2014: Breast Cancer Detection Center of Alaska – $738.42
- August 2014: Breadline’s Stone Soup Cafe – $807.41
- June 2014: Calypso Farm’s School Garden Initiative – $675.37
- April 2014: Alaska Songbird Institute – $884.00
- February 2014: Fairbanks Memorial Hospital Hospice Services – $924.55
- January 2014: North Star Youth Court – $709.67
2014 Total: $6606.59
- December 2013: Fairbanks Youth Advocates – $1245.45
- November 2013: Fairbanks Community Food Bank – $1413.35
- October 2013: Stone Soup Cafe – $1456.78
2013 Total: $4115.58